Thursday, September 25, 2008

MY Trail Magic!

Being a Trail angel! Doing trail magic, And being me..
Current mood: loved

My life... hmmm Seriously.. really? yeah i guess... I can focus on the things i don't have, and wonder about why certain things are not the way I want them to be.. or I can live, be happy, and love unconditionally and fully every blessing that is mine.

This weekend I gave back.....
In case some of you have no clue what trail magic is, or what being a trail angel is i will fill you in.
While i hiked for 3 months on the Appalachian trail i was confronted by amazing people the helped me out, fed me, let me stay at their place, gave me rides... People would set up full on BBQ's for us if we were lucky enough to go by them that day, or leave coolers of soda, candy, beer.. I even got a free ride to Merle fest and amazing festival in NC, free ticket (250$) camping, food pass, and my job was the sneak back stage.. I mean come on! I had to give back.. So I knew some folks hiking the PCT this year (i was also suppose to be on it and chose to go to Africa and Europe instead)

I really had no idea how limited the trail magic on the PCT was, and the AT like trail magic didn't really happen out there.. but i was prepared! I had the master plan... It was slightly thrown off when my hiker friend came to town a couple days early bringing with him 3 stinky hikers! but they were awesome they filled my little apartment with smiles, and trail stories and compliments...
We all headed up the trail with some help from my amazing friend kelly (i think this was all a lot more then she realized!) and some borrowed items from sharon and spencer (thanks guys!)
We made it.. we could not find a spot to set up so we had to set up at a very popular trail head at snoqualmie pass!
I brought
3 dozen eggs
60 beers
5 lbs of ground beef
5 lbs of bacon
2 lbs of sausage
tofu and veggie sausage
salads
fresh fruits and veggie
chips and crackers
cheeses and dips
lots of yummy breads and wraps
i baked cookies
kelly baked zucchini bread (she grew the zuccs)
chocolate, gatorade, juices, emergency
two coolers
two table for setting up
chairs
hammocks
my "party" tent

I have no idea how we fit this stuff into my car.. how we set up and broke down 2 times.. and on the second day kelly left and i did it all with a thru hiker that wanted to join me for another day.
We had to hike all this stuff in on the second day to a spot not so "on the trail" far away from I90 and all the day hikers.. We found an amazing site! a fire pit, logs, views, shade,,, everything i wanted! I had an amazing time! We fed 7 hikers the first night and then the next morning..
we drank laughed shared and i think kelly got a really good glimpse into why i live thru hiking.. what trail family feels like... and how amazing it feels to be a trail angel!
She left on sunday to go get her stuff together so she could hike the next PCT section with a hiker we met.... I am far more then jealous i must say. but my time on the PCT will come...
I had so much fun and got to be in a 6 person spooning party all inside my tent! And have fond memories of my little ride with Prison Jay.
Sunday set up in the woods I met up with 5 more hikers.. and got to feed them too...
I was told by a few hikers i gave them the best trail magic they have had on the trail. 3 of them hiked the 7 miles to town, then had friends that were meeting them there drive them back up to me, so we could all hang out.. and so they could all enjoy my french toast, bacon, sausage, and egg wraps... i cooked for 8 people this morning.
They were all so great, they helped me take loads to the car (so i wouldn't have to hike it all back out again!) I felt loved, appreciated, and wonderful! I know that I will be remembered by each of theses hikers, just as i remember and tell stories of the amazing angels that helped me!

My heart ached when it was all over... i wanted to grab my gear and hike to canada with them.. I kicked myself a little that I didn't try to plan to hike a section with slick b and friends... but its ok.. they can just come hike a section with me when i am out there! that will be even more fun!

This was for sure not an easy thing to do! or cheap... but priceless in so many ways!
I got home and spent 7 hours unpacking, cleaning up, doing laundry, cleaning my apartment that had just been let go.... Summer.. It was amazing and busy, and full of surprises, new friends, laughs, music, hiking, butterflies and unicorns... and all the things that make my heart and soul smile.. I am so glad to be alive... and to be living this life...
I am so blessed to have you all in it, dancing next to me, sharing with me,,,,, and being a part of what made me the me i am this minute..
Have I thanked you lately? no... well.. THANK YOU!!!

No comments: